At the Gala
My Design (far right) and Guy Gibboney's Design (left corner)
At the Gala
View of the whole stage.
At the Gala
View of all three chandelier designs.
In order of closest to furthest: Guy Gibboney's Design, Jessika Raisor's Design, James Russo's Design
This is page 3/20 I sketched for our first meeting in early January. Thinking of the classic Bond lady trope, I went with a very feminine silhouette. The theme of the Gala later switched to be a more Carmen based theme but the lady-like appearance of this design fit both ideas and the quick sketch in the black was the one they ultimatly chose.
Refined Design 1
After our first meeting with the people at the theater, our team refined and explored different variations of the ideas they liked best. I did a couple more than what you see here, but all these were based off the same sketch that lead to the final design.
This design has the top part more rounded and less curved but keeps the dangling cords in the center.
Refined Design 2
This design takes the concept sketch and makes it slightly more tangible.
Refined Design 3
This sketch was intended to be the final drawing before we started building. The design is more fleshed out so you can see depth and structure. This however revealed the flatness of the design and so I was to revise one more time.
This is what the final chandelier was based off of. It look the look of the 3rd refined sketch and was rotated so it had depth and appeal from all angles.
As we were building, it became clear that this design, being the only one with chains, would stick out, so as you will see the final design has lace in place of the gold chains.
Our designs were made in Solidworks and then flattened into usable files for the Shop Bot by team member, Mike Gray. This is 1 out of the 2 sheets with the pieces for my chandelier, cut out of ply wood.
All of our pieces were cut out of 3/4 inch plywood but most of the pieces were doubled up. We cut twos of everything and then glued + screwed them together. This was also done on the arms on my chandelier to make them thicker and stand out more.
This is the base of my chandelier, about to be screwed and glued together. The center pole was added at the very end of the process.
All the pieces had a thin coat of primer put on them and then were wet sanded down so they were nice and smooth. Before we did this, we also applied bondo to the edges and sanded those down as well.
All the pieces were painted a shiny black using automotive paint.
Once the piece was painted, a 6 foot pole (later cut down 3 inches for better sizing) was screwed and glued in.
Adding the Fabric
I started adding the lace on the bottom first since we had to take the pole off and cut it down to size. I decided to vary up the size between arms, alternating between a longer drape to a more shorter one. The fabric was just stapled into the wood.
The last thing we did before it was transported to the theater (which is where the final piece was added) was to drape the sheer over the top. We used 2 big sheets and one smaller sheet to cover the whole chandelier.
Hanging the Chandeliers
This is a time lapse video that was shot during the set up. The first few seconds feature us hanging the chandeliers.
An internship with Opera Columbus. Completed between January and March 2017. A group of 4 CCAD Students (Jessika Raisor, James Russo, Guy Gibboney, Mike Gray) were tasked with designing and then creating 3 chandeliers to be hung at the Opera Gala 2017.
This is the process for my chandelier.
These are all the concept work done by me over the course of 4 weeks. The theme we were given was the subject of the two Operas that were going on during the season, a James Bond Version of Sergalio (Mission: Sergalio) and Bizet's Carmen.
Building and construing took place between February 24 - March 6.
It was a team effort with no one person building their own chandelier.